How do I join?

Many new members are sponsored by an existing club member. You may also send your membership application and payment to the address on the form. You should find all the info you need on our Membership Page.

When does the club year begin and end?

The club year runs from Jan 1st to Dec 31st. Annual dues cover the same period.

What does it cost to renew my membership?

There are several Membership options available:

  • Lifetime – $3,750
  • Full – $150/year
  • Associate – $75/year
  • Trial – $50/trial (trial period is 2 weeks)

What do the annual dues cover?

All members EXCEPT the Associate members are entitled to attend the club’s shoots and meetings. Trial members are invited to attend any shoots and meetings within a 2 week period and Full members are entitled to attend shoots for a full year.

All members also receive:

  • access to the CrackerJack’s Mailing List (CML), an electronic mailing list
  • answers to legal questions concerning fireworks handling, transportation and storage;
  • access to the member’s section of the CrackerJack’s website, featuring extra content and communications.

Who is included in my family?

Your family is defined you, your significant other and your or your significant other’s children under the age of 21.

My son or daughter wants to become an official member, how much does that cost?

A child would still have to pay the annual dues to become a member.

What does it cost a member or guest to attend a club shoot?

A member’s annual dues cover admission to shoots, seminars or other events. Current rates for guests are:

  • $50.00 for a 2-week trial membership

Guests are anyone outside the member’s family. There are no discounts for children.

Other than dues and fees, what is expected of a member?

The FIRST requirement of a club member is to know, understand, and follow all of the appropriate safety rules concerning the use and transportation of fireworks. Members attending the club shoots are required to conduct themselves in a safe manner by following all of the safety rules and immediately reporting violations to the officers. Every member is expected to volunteer at least 1 hour of time at each shoot that he attends. Most members donate 2-3 hours of time. This time can be spent on setup and teardown of the field, registration, or safety. The Shoot Czar coordinates all volunteer efforts. In addition, it is expected that each member stay for Sunday clean up at least once per year.

If a member gets hurt at a club function, will the insurance or club pay for my medical bills or other expenses?

No. The club insurance exempts anyone involved in the event. This includes members, families, and guests. If you, your family, or your guests get hurt the club and its insurance company is not responsible for damages or expenses. You are notified of this upon joining the club. In addition, you will be asked to sign a waiver to acknowledge this at each event.

What is the proper name of the club?

On official documents, the club is named The CrackerJacks, Inc.

How old is the club?

The CrackerJacks is the oldest regional fireworks club in the United States. The first club meeting was held in early November of 1976 at the Holiday House tavern located on Harford Road at Northern Parkway. It was attended by Jack Leonard, Joe Gross, John Cochran, Richard Doyle, and Dennis Coster. The entertainment for the evening was a presentation by Jack Leonard on the English celebration of Guy Fawkes Day. The first club dues were held in a Tootsie Roll bank.

What are the official corporate documents maintained by the club?

The document you are reading, the CrackerJack’s F.A.Q., the club/corporation by-laws, and the safety guidelines. There are also periodic documents that are produced by the Board of Directors. Each member and prospective member should read each document carefully.

Can I write an article or blog post for the club?

Absolutely! The VP of Publications editor is constantly looking for material to publish on the website. You can submit articles to board@crackerjacks.org. Inclusion of such an article is at the discretion of the VP of Publications.

Can I donate items or money to the club and use it as a charitable deduction on my income taxes?

No. The club is designated is designated as a non-profit. But our IRS designation does not allow us to accept tax-exempt charitable donations.

Are any fireworks or special effects banned from the club?

Yes. The following items are prohibited by our standard safety rules, and require written permission from the board to be used in a special circumstance: Aerial Signal Flares, gas filled balloons or bags, and high explosives. Illegally manufactured fireworks are also banned from use during club shoots. Additionally, while Class C (consumer) fireworks can be purchased and shot by all members, only members completing the PGI Shooters Certification Course are allowed to shoot Class B shells. You may also be asked to complete the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) Responsible Individual Application.

I would like to fire a device in an area outside its normally designated area. Can I get permission to do this?

No. In the interest of safety, only those areas marked for specific items will be allowed to be fired in those areas. Exceptions to this rule must have the approval of BOTH the Head of Safety and the Club President (or their official representatives).

How do I get reimbursed for materials and fireworks used at a shoot?

Only the Club Treasurer may approve purchases in direct support of a Club Shoot. There will be no reimbursement for items which are not pre-approved. Items used during a shoot, which are not pre-approved, are considered to be “donations” to the club. Items qualified for reimbursement will be paid within 30 days by the Club Treasurer.

Do vendors pay a fee to attend club shoots and sell fireworks?

No, we no longer charge a “Vending Fee”.

Can I bring someone to help me vend at the shoot?

That depends:

  • A business can bring two employees to assist with vending at no additional charge. The employees must be on the vendors payroll (e.g. receive a W2).
  • A vendor without regular employess may not bring an assistant. Anyone helping them would need to be a member of the club.

Do vendors offer discounts to club members?

Vendors offer club members various discounts during the year. Fireworks offered for sale at club shoots to members and their guests are deeply discounted.

How do I become an officer in the club?

Becoming an officer requires some effort. An individual may declare his intentions to seek a specific office anytime prior to the beginning of elections. Each officer on the Board of Directors serves for a 2-year period. Half of the officers are elected each year to provide continuity for the club. Elections are held each December for the following 2 year period. Candidates for office in the club must be active members, able to dedicate a substantial amount of personal time to the club and its functions, and be able to pass an ATF screening. Once elected, an approval application will be forwarded to the ATF and will include fingerprints and a current photograph. The officer receives official status upon clearance by the ATF.

Are there other positions of importance that do not require an ATF background check?

Yes. There are several “appointed” positions which require less effort than an officer position, but are very important to the club’s proper functioning. Each year, the Club president (with the Board of Directors approval) appoints individual volunteers to specific club positions of authority. Lead shooters for the club shoots plus safety chair & volunteers are some examples. These positions are the best way to learn some of the club inner workings to prepare a member for a future officer position.

Comments are closed.